Incorporating a C-Corp Online through RocketLawyer

by Tooret. Posted on Sep 15, 2020    0    6

Hi guys,

My sister, brother and I are applying for an Amazon Delivery Service Partner Program. My brother and I are currently in Indonesia but my sister is an American citizen.

After asking business attorneys, it seems my brother and I can only invest in the company if the company is a C-Corp.

Our accountant wants to charge us $700 to set up a C-Corp in California, but I saw online that the overall fee is around $125. I don't mind paying a professional to do it for me since I am not an expert, but it feels like $700 is a little too steep.

I looked online and found that can help me set up a C-Corp starting from $150. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this site?

Also if not, is $700 a fair price to set up a C-Corp?


Thank you very much for your time.



I've used Rocket Lawyer, they're fine. You can also do it yourself just as easily on the California website.

  Tooret 1

I see. I didn’t want to risk it since I was unfamiliar. But I will look into it. Thanks for the advice

komodo2010 1

As a foreigner whose doing a similar thing I'm wondering if the lawyer gave you an explanation as to why it has to be a c Corp. The only reason why I'm going the c-corp way is because of taxes, but otherwise I would have probably opted for an LLC. An LLC offers limited liability in much the same way as a C Corp and as far as I know it can be foreign owned.

Did the lawyer explain it to you?

  Tooret 1

You are correct. My lawyer only said that foreigners are only allowed to invest in a C-Corp and not LLC. I sent her an email confirming whether I can start an LLC and I should expect a reply by Monday.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you decide to go with C-Corp nevertheless?


Thank you for your reply.

komodo2010 1

As I understand it, this has to do with the phenomenon of disregarded entity. An LLC is a disregarded entity (unless you don't want it to be) meaning that the revenue from the LLC is, not subject to corporate taxes but passes through to the income tax return. I don't pay income tax in the US so that doesn't seem like an option for me. I want the revenue from my US firm to be taxed in my own country under local corporations taxes and a C Corp seems like a good form to do that with, according to my tax consultant.

But, like you I'm going to talk to my US lawyer some time next week to learn more.

  Tooret 1

I see. I talked to my siblings today and we were thinking along the same line. We should have more info by next week as well.