I'm an indie game developer looking to pursue a lifelong dream. I've decided on starting up a Sole Proprietorship and getting a DBA for my soon to be business. I'll be working solo, my background is in software and will be going into this with 0 business experience. I'm based in California with no plans on having a physical location but working from home instead.
I was hoping I could get some advice on getting started. A few questions I have are..
- How can I check if the business name I've chosen is available? How can I be sure its not trademarked and wont cause legal trouble in the future?
- Can I have multiple DBA's for my one business? The name I've chosen also has a clever variation that I would also like to associate with my business.
- What steps do I have to take to get this Sole Proprietorship setup and associated with a DBA?
- Are there any specific/favored websites I could use to get this done? Where do I begin?
- Should I trademark my name? Would it be a foolish move so early considering the reality that this business will likely 'fail'?
I'm really excited and appreciate all your time!